ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SPECIALIST
- Basic Function
- Are you an experienced Environmental Health professional with a heart for service and a desire to positively impact the health and overall well-being of the public? If so, join the Community Development team at the City of Coppell as an
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SPECIALIST!
The Environmental Health Specialist, under moderate supervision of the Environmental Health Officer, performs tasks of above-average difficulty in order to maintain and improve various aspects of the environment that affect the health, safety, comfort, and well-being of the public. Enforces applicable City ordinances, state statutes, and federal laws, i.e., food sanitation, industrial waste, stormwater, swimming pool, vector control, trash and recycling, and periodic code enforcement. Standardized guidelines are generally available but are not always applicable to the situation, and may not specify the exact course of action to be taken. The Specialist must rely on experience and judgment in interpreting the guidelines to fit the work situation when a clear-cut course of action is not available. The Specialist may recommend changes to the existing guideline to the Environmental Health Officer, when evidence indicates that guidelines should be amended.
- Essential Job Functions
Essential Job Functions
- Performs routine field inspections necessary in the enforcement of ordinances pertaining to environmental health.
- Assists in the development, implementation, and enforcement of programs dealing with Environmental Health.
- Investigates reports of illegal dumping of hazardous materials onto public and/or private property. Conducts investigation to ascertain the identity of the responsible party, takes immediate action to facilitate the timely remediation of the affected area.
- Handles complaints from citizens and business community relating to environmental health and trash and recycling, and takes appropriate action to address the situation in question.
- Assists in controlling vectors and pests of public health significance through the investigation of unsanitary conditions, habitat reduction, surveillance, and the application of pesticides.
- Reviews plans for Swimming Pools and Spas, food service establishment construction and remodeling, conducts field inspections to ensure compliance.
- Plans, prepares, and presents public health educational awareness programs.
- Maintains computer-aided environmental health files, records, logs, and charts, and processes compliance letters.
- Compiles information and prepares daily, weekly, and monthly activity reports and time sheets.
- On call for after hours emergencies involving food establishments, fuel or chemical spill, or any other incident deemed necessary by the Environmental Health Officer.
- Work outside of the regular 40 hour work week may be required from time to time regarding temporary food event inspections, and other special events.
- Performs other related duties as required, or directed by the Environmental Health Officer.
- City of Coppell Core Competencies
Knowledge and ability to correctly apply professional/specialized expertise; skillfully manage information; properly use tools, equipment and technology; effectively allocate resources; proactively identify and resolve issues; consistently make sound decisions; correctly execute policy processes and procedures; strictly adhere to/enforce safety polices; consistently produce quality results; proactively plan and organize; consistently provide exceptional customer service.
Humble: The noble choice to forgo your status, deploy your resources or use your influence for the good of others beyond yourself-a willingness to hold power in service for others.
Motivation of Self & Others: We demonstrate a core desire to serve the Public and the
Organization through our commitment, passion, initiative and drive.
Leadership of Self & Others: We motivate, inspire and influence others to strive towards excellence by being participatory, positive, accountable, team focused, influential in goal achievement, and empowering.
Service -Oriented: We behave in a friendly and professional manner centering on a desire to address the needs of internal and external customers while respecting their rights and dignity by being people-oriented, helpful, understanding and compassionate.
Trustworthy: We earn the confidence of others by demonstrating both the character and the competence to fulfill our obligations with both integrity and honesty along with ethical, credible behavior.
Relational: We establish trust, cooperation, mutual respect and support with an objective to improve relationships by valuing diversity and being diplomatic/tactful, cooperative, empathetic, broadminded, flexible, respectful and compassionate/caring.
Communication: We exchange information and ideas in a manner which results in mutually supported decisions for the greater good by sharing thoughts & feelings, and through persuasiveness, assertiveness, empathic listening, conflict resolution and deliberating/debating.
Emotional Maturity: We demonstrate the ability to manage and monitor our emotions and to assess the emotional state of others by understanding stress management, balance and consistency.
Development of Self & Others: We are committed to improving the knowledge, skills, personal qualifications and performance of ourselves and others through mentoring, coaching, counseling/discipline, delegation and self-development.
Organizational Awareness: We are aware of the Organization's structure and culture for how we do business by understanding organizational structure, departmental impact on organization, interdepartmental relations, organizational culture, organizational development and leadership style.
Global Awareness: We stay informed of critical global issues and trends that may impact the Organization by understanding international perspectives (does not apply to level 3), intergovernmental relations, political awareness, media/public relations and legal implications.
Community Awareness: We have a sense of the community's culture and its impact on service delivery by understanding purpose of service, citizen/stakeholder expectations, demographics and branding.
Professional Insight: We thoroughly understand our particular professions and apply the principles and ethics required in the professions' service delivery by applying principles, professional ethics and by understanding futuring/profession trends, legal implications and resource planning.
Innovation: We successfully implement ideas that improve and/or add value to service delivery through creative thinking, risk taking, continuous improvement and by being quality minded and a change agent.
Critical Thinking: We actively and skillfully conceptualize, apply, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information to reach a sound answer or conclusion by understanding issue/problem identification, analysis, consequences, and by balancing decision factors.
Visioning: We create the future direction of the Organization and understand the efforts and processes needed to achieve it through strategic planning, goal setting, policy development, mission/values and council direction.
- Minimum Requirements
This position requires thorough knowledge of current federal and state laws, statutes, and ordinances pertaining to public health, verbal fluency and good grammar. Knowledge of computer operations is desired.
A Bachelor's degree in environmental health, science, or a related field is required. A current registration as a professional sanitarian in Texas, a minimum of three (3) years experience inspecting food service establishments and a valid Texas driver's license with a good driving record are required. The candidate must successfully pass a physical examination and a drug screening prior to employment. The Environmental Health Specialist must be able to obtain a non-commercial pesticide applicator's license, and a certified pool operator's license within twelve (12) months of hire. Field experience in water pollution/water quality, pool inspection, daycare inspection, code enforcement, hazardous materials spills, and/or vector control programs is preferred.